Pharmaceutical Compounding is the art and science of preparing customized medications to meet specific patient’s needs. Compounding pharmacists work together with physicians and their patients to develop the most appropriate therapy for each individual.
The demand for professional compounding has increased as healthcare professionals and patients realize that the limited number of strengths and dosage forms that are commercially available do not meet the needs of many patients. Many patients often have a better response to a customized dosage form.
Example of Compounding Solutions for People
- Topical Preparations to treat pain, inflammation and skin irritations
- Bioidentical hormonal restoration therapy for women and men
i.e. Bioidentical estrogen troche (or lozenge) for menopausal women experiencing hot flashes
- Transdermal Gel to treat nauseau and vomiting in patients who are unable to swallow
- Custom flavored liquids for small children or elderly who cannot take capsules
Example of Veterinary Compounding for Animals
*All compounded medicines require prescription from physician.
- Topical gels applied behind the ear to treat depression in cats
- Custom flavored medicine to improve palatibility
*Disclaimer: The information on this site is general in nature and is intended for educational purposes only. You should consult your physician if you have questions regarding your diagnosis and treatment of any health problems.
- extended-release capsules
- transdermal gels
- nasal or oral sprays
- oral rinses
- modified-release capsules
- topical bases
- and more!
For Cats and Dogs
- peanut butter